April 18th 2012
Celebrating Earth Day around our home is always a lot of fun. We either plant a new tree, or add new flowers and bushes to one of our many existing gardens. It is usually a family event. We drive to the local Home Depot together and select our new plant or tree together. The boys always love to be a part of this type of family fun. Last year for Earth Day, we planted a new blueberry and raspberry bush. The blueberry bush did not survive, and I am hoping to find a new one for this year.
When was Earth Day created? It was created in San Fransisco, California in 1970. Its first official celebration took place on April 22, 1970.
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is very similar to a birthday. Earth Day is a special day that celebrates our beautiful planet. Every year, America and over 100 different countries unite to celebrate Earth Day. Did you know that Earth Day is the largest and most celebrated environmental event worldwide? On this day, it is important to remember and appreciate nature.
There are many simple things that you can do right now and everyday to show love towards our beautiful planet:
– Purchase a water bottle that you can reuse.
– Purchase reusable grocery bags. You can purchase them at your local grocery store.
– Spend less time in the shower. This will decrease the amount of water that you use.
– Walk or bike to your destination whenever possible. This will decrease air pollution.
– Purchase local, and organic produce whenever possible. This will support your local economy, and reduce transport costs related to imported foods.
– Grow your own fruits or vegetables.
-Shut the lights out when you are not in that room.
One change is all it takes from all of us, to make one big impact."/>